When strawberries are in season, there are endless recipes that one can try out. Here’s one such recipe that both adults and children will relish. Serve this strawberry chocolate chip cake at tea time or with hot custard sauce as dessert for a winter lunch.
Salted butter – 85 gms; softened
Brown sugar – 3/4 cup
Whole wheat flour – 3/4 cup
All-purpose flour – 3/4 cup
Baking powder – 1½ tsp
Egg – 1 pc
Milk – ½ cup
Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
Chocolate chips – a handful
Strawberries – 450 gms; halved
- Prepare a baking dish that is deep enough. Keep aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180° C.
- Sift together the flours and baking powder in a small mixing bowl. Keep aside.
- Beat the softened butter and the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Break in the egg and fold in the milk and vanilla extract taking care that the mixture doesn’t curdle.
- Add the flour mix one spoon at a time and beat until all the flour is well combined to make a smooth cake batter. Take care not to over mix.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared baking dish, place the halved strawberries on top with the cut side down in a single layer.
- Sprinkle some brown sugar and chocolate chips on top.
- Bake the cake for about 30 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to rest for about 10 minutes before taking out from the tin.
This cake tastes as delicious as it looks. You can make it in advance and store in an air tight tin for a week. Do share with us your experience of making this cake in the comments section below.