Covid times are challenging times for all mothers, especially those with young children at home. Cooking three daily meals and ensuring a constant supply of snacks, without frequent repetition, is a humongous task. Here’s a concoction of all things Mexican; it makes for a wholesome meal for children of all age groups.
Salsa sauce – 1 cup
Rice – 1 cup; steamed
Kidney beans (rajma) – 1 cup; soaked overnight
Corn – 1 cup; boiled
Red bell pepper – ½ cup; chopped
Spring onions – ½ cup; chopped fine (only the greens)
Tomatoes – 1 cup; chopped
Fresh coriander – 1 small bunch; finely chopped
Cheddar or mozzarella cheese – ½ cup; grated
Nachos – 1 big packet
- Boil the soaked kidney beans in a pressure cooker, till cooked. The beans should remain whole and not be overdone.
- Drain out the water and keep aside to cool.
- In a jar, combine all ingredients in layers.
- At the bottom, pour 3-4 tbsp salsa sauce, followed by a layer of steamed rice.
- Add 2 tbsp of corn, some spring onion greens and the kidney beans.
- Pour another 2-3 tbsp of salsa sauce, followed by the red bell pepper and cheese.
- Top it up with the chopped tomatoes.
- Microwave for 30 seconds.
- Garnish with nachos.
This colourful jar, loaded with all the goodness of proteins, vegetables and carbs is a complete meal for children. Quick and easy to make, it is something even the fussiest of kids will devour without a prod. Do share with us your experience and those of the children at home.