A one pan meal, this is one recipe that every working mother would love to include in her repertoire. A complete meal in itself, this is not just a healthy option for those counting their calories, but is so delicious and attractive that it can be served for brunches or even for a light dinner.
Chicken breasts – 500 gm
Bell peppers – 1 pc each – red, yellow and green; cut into thick long strips
Broccoli – 1 medium sized pc; cut into florets
Onion – 1 large; cut into thick slices
Olive oil – 2-3 tsp
Salt and pepper – to taste
For the marinade
Lemon – 1 and ½ pcs; cored and juiced
Garlic – 8 cloves; crushed
Black pepper – ½ tsp; crushed
Mixed herbs – ½ tsp
Olive oil – 2 tbsp
Paprika powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
For the garnish
Green olives – 8-10 pcs
Basil leaves – a few
Lemon slices – a few
- Wash the chicken breasts thoroughly and pat dry.
- Slice through each piece and pound to flatten (this ensures the chicken cooks uniformly).
- Mix together the lemon juice, garlic, black pepper, herbs, olive oil, paprika and salt and marinate the chicken breasts in this mixture.
- Put in a zip lock bag and let it rest for 5-6 hours in a refrigerator.
- Take out from the refrigerator and leave for 10 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan, add the chicken breasts 2-3 pieces at a time along with some of the marinade mixture and grill on a high flame for one minute.
- Lower the flame, cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the lid, put on medium to high flame and cook till the marinade gets absorbed and the chicken is done.
- Repeat with the rest of the pieces till all are done.
- The chicken should be nicely browned to give it a roasted look and flavour. Remove and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add the onions and cook for a minute.
- Add the broccoli and cook for a minute.
- Add the bell peppers and grill all the vegetables on high flame, till the edges are browned. Remove and keep aside.
- When serving, heat the roasted chicken breasts on high flame, add the grilled vegetables and toss.
- Serve on a flat dish and garnish with olives, basil leaves and lemon slices.
This dish comes together so quickly that you might find yourself wondering whether you missed a step or two! The combination of tender roasted chicken breasts with crunchy vegetables is an ideal dish for every health-conscious teenager who may be a fussy eater otherwise. Do share with us your experience when making this recipe in the comments section below.