Love is in the air and what better way to celebrate Valentine’s Day than to make a delicious cake for your loved one.
To celebrate the season of love try making a heart shaped cake, which may seem difficult at first. But once you get around to making it, you will find it easy enough.
For the cake
White sugar – 2 cups
Butter – 1 cup; softened
Eggs – 4 pcs; beaten
Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
Almond extract – 1 tsp
Baking powder – 2 tsp
Baking soda – 1 tsp
Flour – 3 cups
Milk – 2 cups
For the icing
Confectioner’s sugar – 4 cups
Butter – 1cup; softened
Vanilla extract – 2 tsp
Red food colouring – a few drops
Fresh strawberries to garnish
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Grease an 8” x 8” square baking pan and an 8” x 8” round baking pan. Keep aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Keep aside.
- Beat the sugar and butter with an electric beater till smooth and creamy.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and almond extracts and combine well.
- Add the flour and milk alternating a spoon of each at a time. Mix well.
- Divide the batter into two and pour into each prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30-40 minutes and until a toothpick inserted in the centre of each cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool for two hours.
- In the meantime, prepare the icing by beating together the sugar, butter and vanilla extract till light and fluffy.
- Add the food colouring one drop at a time to get the desired pink colour.
- Remove the cakes from the pans and slice the round cake in half.
- Lay the square cake on the work surface such that it resembles a ‘diamond’ shape.
- Lay one round cake on the top left side of the ‘diamond’ cake and the second round cake on the top right side of the ‘diamond’ cake creating a heart shaped cake on top.
- Spread the icing neatly in between the two layers of the cakes, on top of the cake and on all sides.
- Garnish with strawberries.
Be ready to receive compliments for your efforts from your valentine. Bask in the warmth of love as you both indulge in this luscious cake. Do share with us your experience of making this cake in the comments section below.