A tea time cake combining the aromatic flavours of cinnamon and coffee, this recipe is a must have for every home baker. It is simple and easy to make. And this makes it a favourite among kids and adults alike. It can be made a couple of days in advance and kept in an airtight container.
For the cinnamon coffee filling
Brown sugar – 30 gms
Cinnamon powder – ½ tsp
Coffee powder – ½ tbsp
For the vanilla cake
Unsalted butter – 100 gms
Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
Eggs – 2 large
Flour – 165 gms
Milk – 1/4 cup
Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
Baking powder – 1/4 tsp
For the glaze
Icing sugar – ½ cup
Coffee powder – 1/4 tsp
Milk – 2 tbsps
For the topping
Butter – 30 gms; molten
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon together and keep aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Line and butter an eight-inch loaf pan.
- Beat the butter and sugar till the butter is light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Add the eggs one by one, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in the flour, one spoon at a time, alternating it with a spoon of milk.
- Pour half the batter in the pan.
- Sprinkle the coffee powder and half of the cinnamon and brown sugar mixture evenly on the batter.
- Cover with the rest of the cake batter.
- Top this with the rest of the sugar mixture.
- Drizzle the molten butter on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 30 to 35 mins or until a tooth pick inserted in it comes out clean.
- Let the cake sit in the pan. Remove when cool.
- Whip up the icing sugar with the coffee and milk.
- Drizzle all over the cake.
Keep sufficient servings of this cake always in your larder. It always comes in handy when one has unexpected guests, or when the kids are around.