The humble bread pudding traces its origin to the 11th and 12th century when frugal cooks thought of different ways to use leftover bread instead of allowing it to go waste. Its popularity even today can be gauged from the fact it is served as much on special occasions as on a lazy Sunday brunch.
- Bread – 2 cups; shredded or cut in cubes
- Milk – 1 and ½ glass
- Eggs – 2; beaten
- Sugar ¾ cup; ground
- Butter – 4 tbsps
- Vanilla essence – few drops
- Chocolate chips – 2 tbsps
- Soak the shredded bread in the milk and keep aside
- Mix the butter and sugar. Fold in the eggs and vanilla essence ensuring it doesn’t curdle
- Combine the egg mix with the bread mix
- Pour into a glass oven proof baking dish
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C till for approx. 30 mins till a brown crust appears.
This sumptuous dish with its crusty exterior and a warm and soft interior is sure to melt in everyone’s mouth. A sure shot hit with children and adults alike, this is one recipe that can never fail. Do share with us your experience when baking this in the comments section below.