The classic bread pudding is one the easiest puddings to make. No wonder most novices begin their culinary journey by trying their hand at this pudding. Here is an easy to make bread pudding recipe for all ‘wanna be’ bakers. Moist from the inside, yet crisp on the top, the extra dash of sherry adds a heady flavour to this all-time favourite dessert.
Butter – 75 gms; softened
Raisins – 75 gms
Sherry – 2 tbsps
Eggs – 5 pcs
Thickened cream – 200 ml
Milk – 200 ml
Raw sugar – 1 tbsps
Castor sugar – 1 cup
Orange – 1pc; zested
Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
Cinnamon powder – a pinch
Nutmeg powder – a pinch
Raisin bread – 1 loaf; sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Lightly butter a 1.5 litre oven-proof dish. Keep aside.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, milk, sugar, orange zest, vanilla, sherry, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl until well combined.
- Butter both sides of each bread slice and cut each in half diagonally.
- Layer the bread in the oven proof dish and sprinkle the raisins on top.
- Pour the egg mixture on top making sure the mixture covers all the layers of the bread.
- Push down the sides with your fingers so that the entire bread is soaked in the egg mixture. Let it soak for about 30 minutes. If there is any leftover butter, pour the butter on various areas over the pudding.
- Sprinkle the raw sugar on the top and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the custard is firm.
- Cool slightly before serving.
Be ready to receive many compliments for this simple to make, yet delicious pudding. A versatile pudding, it can be served with ice-cream during summers and a hot custard sauce during winters. Do share with us your experience of making this pudding in the comments section below.