This Cajun seasoned recipe is a healthy dish that is easy to put together. It can even serve as a complete meal, especially for those into muscle building and fitness. A dash of the spicy Cajun seasoning adds a rustic taste to this cheesy and delicious dish. It even makes for a perfect snack or as an accompaniment to a mutli-course meal.
Cajun dishes, it is said, originate in the US state of Louisiana. The current day Cajun community (also known as Acadians), meanwhile, were exiled from eastern Canada’s Nova Scotia province by British settlers. Cajun dishes do not necessarily originate from the Cajun community. Rather, they are the outcome of a cultural potpourri — one that is typically American. Cajun seasoning usually comprises a mix of paprika, cayenne, pepper and oregano. Some also add garlic powder, depending on preference.
Chicken – 10 oz; drained and flaked
Cheddar cheese – 4 oz; shredded
Onions – ½ cup; chopped fine
Capsicum – ½ cup; diced
Mayonnaise – ¼ cup
Cajun seasoning – ¾ tsp
Garlic – ½ tsp; minced
Bread – 4 slices
Ingredients for the Cajun seasoning
Salt – 2 ½ tbsp
Oregano – 1 tbsp
Paprika – 1 tbsp
Cayenne pepper – 1tbsp
Black pepper powder – 1tbsp
Mix together and keep in an air tight bottle
- Mix the chicken, cheese, onions, capsicum, mayonnaise and garlic in a bowl.
- Place the bread slices on a flat baking dish.
- Spread the chicken mix evenly on the bread slices.
- Sprinkle the Cajun seasoning on top.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes till the bread is toasted golden brown.
- Serve hot with fries and tomato ketchup.
- To make it a complete meal, serve with coleslaw as an accompaniment.
This dish is a favourite among all age groups. Adults and children alike will light up when they see this dish laid out for them. If you do attempt this creation, we’d love to hear of your experience of both preparing it and also of the compliments that your diners share.